My 1997 Dodge ram 1500 paramos edition, won't move when I put it in gear. The transfer case is locked in 4L and can't shift it. What can I do?

Asked by Feb 02, 2014 at 06:10 PM

40,575

My '85 Chevy just did that to me the other day. All I could do was unlock my manual hubs and push on my 4 wheel drive shifter for all I was worth. Finally got it to pop back into 2 wheel high. Then it would move. Never tried this but what if you jacked up the rear wheels and hand spun them in reverse while someone was in the cab trying to get it to shift back in to 2 wheel high? Just a thought.....

20,085

It may be stuck /froze in between two gears. It is showing 4 low inside but transfer is in neutral. That's why it won't move. Is it manual 4x4 or electric switch?

It is a manual shifter on the floor.

20,085

Crawl under it and take the linkage loose on the transfer. Turn the shaft on the transfer back as far as it will go. This should be 4 low. Reinstall linkage. Get back inside, start truck, put truck in neutral with foot on brake and see if it comes out of 4 low.