How can I test the voltage of the battery cables on a 2002 Ford F150?

Dustin Powell

Asked by Jan 31, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I want to try and find the problem with the charging system on a 2002 Ford F150. I'll be testing voltage with a volt meter. If you
could please help me with advice that would be perfect.

Put a voltage meter on the HOT terminal of your alternator. You should be getting a reading of 14-14.5 volts. If you are not getting that reading, your brushes in your alternator are gone, or the voltage regulator is bad. Make sure that your battery is fairly new. If your battery is over 5 years old, it may be not holding a charge due to age.

Have your meter set to dc voltage put the red(+) lead on positive of battery or alternator. Put the black(-) lead on either the negative battery post or to frame .