My car makes a loud squealing noise when I start it and when I have my heat or air on. I also get a burning smell coming from my vents when I run my heat or air and I can smell it on the outside also.

Asked by Jan 25, 2014 at 09:29 AM

Any idea in what this is an how much
to get it fixed?

116,025

Sounds like you might have an idler/tensioner pullie gone bad and belt is slipping on it. Normally not that hard a fix but according to the model some of the pullies are more expensive than others. Use caution driving it like this. If belt comes off you will be dead in the road.

20,685

Or it's the a/c compressor trying to lock up. It cycles with the heat on defrost. If it is the a/c you need to get it fixed.It will burn the belt off.

23,725

Have a mechanic check your belts right away- if you smell burning rubber, something in the belt department is ready to let go and leave you stranded