I just bought a 1996 Jeep Grand 2 WD straight six. Is the overdrive automatic? I have 1st, 2nd and overdrive. There is no button to take it out of overdrive, not on the shifter anyway.

Asked by Jan 25, 2014 at 01:23 AM

Just trying out how to get out of overdrive on hills with no button to push. I have a 84 Chevy truck that has overdrive but it goes from 1st gear, 2nd gear, drive, then overdrive.
My Ford has the same but a button that takes it out of overdrive. What's with the Jeep?

7,715

IYou can only choose 1-2 & OD with the shifter. You should have a switch on your dash, to the left of you heat and A/C controls,for turning off overdrive. And yes, it is a 4 speed automatic.

Best Answer
7,715

It should look like this, on your dash. See this link. http://www.cstatic-images.com/preview/DMI/178758/1541551/18.jpg