2001 acura cl types

Asked by Jan 23, 2014 at 09:05 AM

My brakes lights are not working. I have
checked every fuse and all are fine. I
replace the brake bulbs months ago and
also pulled them and they are not burnt out.

3,130

Does the 3rd brake light illuminate when you step on the brake? If not, it might be the brake on/off switch which is attached to the brake pedal. When you hit the pedal, the switch is released and completes the circuit to your brake lights, turning them on. If the switch is bad, power will not be passed back to the lights. But is the 3rd brake light is working, then its probably an electrical issue.

I think I may hav established the problem as being the brake light switch. I am going to get the new part now to fix it. And no the 3rd light will not turn on either.

3,130

There you go! Brake switch.

Best Answer

Do you happen to know why I can't get my car out of park without using the manual gear release? (The hole that you stick the key into to release from park)

3,130

The brake switch also controls the shift interlock. It will shift fine once the switch is replaced.

Music to my ears! Thanks man.

3,130

Theres a couple of things you should know before replacing the switch. 1. Ive seen this on Nissans, but might apply to other cars. There is sometimes a small plastic plug on the pedal assembly, and that plug is what makes contact with the switch. The plug can crack or fall out and render the switch inoperative. Be sure to check for that. 2. Be sure the switch is adjusted properly. Check to make sure the plunger on the switch is completely out once the pedal is pressed a couple inches down. This is especially true if installing a new switch. You want a partner to help you with this. The lights should illuminate when the pedal is pressed only a couple inches (light braking). If improperly adjusted, your lights might not come on until youre slamming the pedal, and may cause an accident.

Thanks for pointing that out for me. Everything is working fine now, and the switch is adjusted right where it needs to be. Much appreciated.