help please..camry wont start and I at wits end

15

Asked by Jan 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM

18,115

Do your headlights burn bright and have you tried jump starting it?

15

its got new battery,fuel pump,plugs and wires....engine turns over and almost catches wen throttle plate wide open

18,115

What year is it?

18,115

The easiest thing you yourself can do to determine whether it's a fuel or spark problem in general is to spray some "starting fluid" into the engine air filter housing so that the engine sucks up the fuel rich vapor and starts up momentarily proving it's a fuel related problem. If the starting fluid spray has no effect, you can guess that you don't have any ignition spark.

15

it is a 98 camry...I know it has spark and fuel although not sure wat pressure is yet..with throttle plate wide open it almost catches but not quite

58,925

Run a compression test. If all cylinders test low it's jumped timing. HTH -Jim

90

Have you visually Inspected the Piston return sprigs for damage/cracked springs?

18,115

Yes as Js stated it may have broken the timing belt. does it crank over faster than normal?

15

no it cranks over normaly..just checked crankshaft position sensor and its within specs,gonna do same with camshaft in amin thenwas gonna make sure fuel pressure is adequate and check to make sure timing is right...after that im not really sure wat to even check..got a code reader but there now trouble codes stored..do I need a scanner instead of a reader

18,115

The timing belt may not have broken just slipped. A bad belt tensioner will do this. Replace the belt and tensioner if this happened.

15

rite on..thx for all ur help up to this point..i will keep this updated with wats going on with it

18,115

Let us know.