i have an 04 crown vic ex police car that dies at lights and when im driving down the road and itn only seems to happen at night when the lights are on.. p.s. its now a taxi cab

Thomas Sarantopoulos

Asked by Jan 03, 2014 at 03:48 PM

the car seams to be wired wrong i can drive around all day but when it comes to driving at
night with all the lights on for my taxi after an hour or two it starts stalling at lights and
while driving it will start back up after a few cranks but i usually have to park it and let it
cool down for an hour or so before driving it again

Could be a failing alternator. Are the lights dim or not quite as bright as they should be? HTH. -Jim

Thomas Sarantopoulos

This is an old cop car and the wiring is messed up when I put the parking lights on the head lights come on as well then if I turn the switch all the way on the bright come on and if I try to use the blinker switch to turn the brights on the normal head lights come on and to answer your question yes the lights are not as bright as they should be cause I drive with the brights on and it looks like the regular lights are on

Sounds like you've got a bad ground. See if your local Ford Dealer will give you a copy of the wiring diagrams for the car. Make sure they know it's a 9C1 (police package) car. Any issues with the tail or stop lights? You'll need to look at how the strobes were wired in. I'm guessing that when they removed the strobes they left something undone. My '02 Impala was like that. Only my issue was in the back. When they removed the rear strobes they never hooked the brake lights back up. I'm betting your situation is similar. That's why you'll need those diagrams. I bet they either forgot to hook something back up or hooked it up wrong once the police lights were removed. HTH. - Jim