Does it matter how many miles on a vehicle if so what is too miles

Asked by Dec 25, 2013 at 09:29 PM

timing belts if lucky can go 80,000 miles...a few nutters have pushed it to 120,000, but will get loose and teeth can get stripped off....a TIMING Chain engine needs a new chain at 150,000 miles....me own Toyota said goodbye, at the post office, the distributor would not turn....I had AAA tow it to the house and put a new chain on there in the rain....should have done the headgasket too.....but it was raining at the time....~

the R50 engine for the MINI has a timing chain that I needn't think about for the rest of it's life....a R52 engine like the Cooper S has a BELT and needs to be changed at 30,000 and 60,000 for reliable service~ .....see the difference here...one is "disposable" and we should hope they took preventative measures to avoid an interference situation (cupped pistons....delayed action)~ a non-interference can run until the thing breaks...just be packin' a replacement in the trunk~