2000 Explorer XLS OHV problems, lots of them.

Nick Rawe

Asked by Dec 18, 2013 at 07:47 PM

Well i dont know where to start, sooo ill just start. Drove perfectly fine yesterday, woke up to start it. Power steering is gone,
thinking bad pump. Battery light is on, just put a new alternator in her last week. So im thinking bad connection possibly. The idle
is not regular dips up and down rather then staying at 1200 rpm like always. Something with the computer? Is it that crank sensor
again that keeps my idle all weird. Or is it the engine? because im honestly thinking of junking the V6 and keeping my trusty V8

So at the same exact time... Your battery light came on, your Power Steering went out, and your idle started bouncing around? Well a low idle can cause the power steering to take more effort to turn the wheel because it's not spinning the pump as fast... I wonder if you don't have an accessory pulley or bearing locked up or dragging real bad, cause your symptoms are about the same as an alternator that's about to lock up.

Nick Rawe

yeah, im pretty good with cars but its just too cold in minnesota lately to get a good look at the problem let alone get it to my bros garage. power steering has completely failed, its not the alternator as its brand new. its also banging sounds kinda like its coming from the engine, like a cylinder. also the lights are dim on the dash.

Just because the alternator is new, that doesn't mean that it *didn't* fail. Just saying! But with the symptoms you've got, it really sounds like an accessory failed or its bearing locked up or is about to lock up.