1999 ford expedition

Asked by Dec 08, 2013 at 07:19 PM

My heat is not blowing as hot as it should be. The blend door seems to be working ok. I
have ruled that out since it is the same problem front and rear. I noticed the top radiator
hose was kind of soft even with the temp at 170 degrees and I could still remove the
radiator cap. I replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap any suggestions. I only get
around 70 degrees in the vents

1,855

Clogged heater core...try back flushing it with the garden hose...

1,855

If you have a Temp gun you will find the prob. chase down all the hoses till you find were it's not flowing

I kind of am thinking a cooling system flush but should it affect back and front heater cores? I traced with my infrared thermometer and I see around 117 in one hose and 90 in the other do you think this is to low if at the block I have around 160

would you suggest taking of top heater hose to radiator sticking garden hose in radiator with car running and let water pump out of the hose you removed to do the entire system??

1,855

No...do it cold were your hoses go into the firewall. you are flushing the core..not the radiator..agreed.?

1,855

Or take both hoses from the motor that run to the heater core and flush till water runs free..

Shannon thanks for you help! Do you think entire system should be flushed as well its been a few years?? And how would you recommend doing it?? Can you tell me the exact way I should do it.

1,855

You welcome....if you going to do a total flush start cold.. Take the thermostat out ,go to the parts store ask for the proper type flush for your car,add flush and run till full temp...I have even done it and drove it for a few hours to make sure all the junk is loose when you replace proper coolant . Not a bad time to replace thermostat either.....

1,855

Read flush directions on label to be sure......

I put a new t stat in last week I thought it was the problem but it was a waste of time the old one was fine boiled it and it works fine so I should remove it and then reinstall it I guess when I flush the system..

1,855

Yes Sir......

1,855

I had a Explorer and went thru the same thing...got lucky. Crude had filled the heater core but flushed out...

Ok will do it next few days when the temps get to 40 again!! Thanks again!!

67,415

You should have a 195°F thermostat in there. Since it's a '99 Model I'd suggest flushing the whole cooling system with plain water. Be sure both front and rear heaters are set to full heat when you do it. Also, it sounds like you're losing pressure. Change the radiator cap as well. Your cooling system, at operating temperature should hold about 15 PSI. HTH. -Jim