Stratus Front Grille Removal

135

Asked by Nov 29, 2013 at 07:44 PM

It looks as though it should be pretty straight forward to remove the font grille on my 2000
Dodge Stratus.  I want to do this in order to work on the radiator with better access.  I
believe I remove the 5 fasteners from the under side, a fastener on the top and the side
hooks.  Any know if I'm missing anything?

242,255

I do, yes, there is more to it, everything is documented in this video, it will help you get the job done.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylDPAXHhUoY

Best Answer
135

I was able to remove the wheel well panel and the 3/8 machine screws on the sides. The problem was with the fasteners on the bottom. The should unscrew, but perhaps they are old and failing. I ended up drilling one out. The couldn't pry then unscrew or just unscrew.

135

Mark, I did see that nice video online and it gave me an outline. However, it didn't have any voice over or text, so I'm still winging it a bit. It looks like if I get the fasteners off the bottom, that I'll then be able to slide the whole unit forward and out. I'm heading up to the parts store to see if I can get replacement fasteners.

242,255

Those fasteners work differently, you unscrew them about half way, sometimes you need a flat blade screwdriver to help put tension on it and it pull down, then get that same flat blade screwdriver and pry the larger outside portion down away from the panel then you can pull the whole assembly out with your fingers.

135

I bought replacement fasteners and will drill out the old ones this morning. I'll give an update later today. It is freezing cold out, so it may be a bitter job.

135

The front grill came off no problem, although I did have to drill out each fastener. I can now access the side of the drain petcock. I haven't been able to dislodge the broken off section. Now I'm wondering if pulling the radiator at this point involves disconnecting high pressure connections.

135

To remove radiator, 1) disconnect transmission coolant lines. I see that line, but haven't figured out where to remove yet. 2) Remove two upper body to radiator bolts 3) Remove four condenser to radiator screws 4) One screw on passenger side. I'm working to find all these connections.