Removing radiator

135

Asked by Nov 25, 2013 at 09:02 PM

Just replaced my Thermostat on my 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.5L and everything was fine.  At
least until I flushed the radiator, then broke the petcock due to the impossible position and
blind access.  Now, is my only option to remove the radiator.  The petcock broke off in the
radiator and it isn't even all the way sealed.  Slow leak.  Poop.

take the bolts off the top what clamp it down to give yourself some access...you KNOW that you didn't have to drain it there....the lower hose can be pulled off too~ kudos for changing your coolant~ if it's a brass petcock that cannot be made to turn, just braze it shut~ use lower hose for draining~

100

If radiator is olastic you maybe able to use JB weld or something similar to seal petcock permanently. If that doesn't work take the radiator out and have it repaired at a radiator shop, cheaper than buying a new one. If JB weld stop leak from this point on to drain radiator you will have to remove lower raiator hose to drain coolant.

135

Thanks both of you. I did remove the upper metal cover, but still can't reach the petcock directly. I also removed the lower plastic guard. I have to use an adjustable socket, mirror and flashlight to access petcock. The petcock is plastic, that is why it broke so easily. The thing is, the leak is not coming out of the petcock location. I imagine the drain is underneath. I place my finger on the tube coming down to the metal frame hole and it stopped leaking there and continued to drip from another location. I'll include a photo when I get off work tomorrow. With such access difficulty, I don't know if I can even get in with sealant.

okay....sixty five bucks~~ https://www.google.com/#q=2000+Dodge+Stratus+2.5L+radiator&tbm=shop

damn cheap plastic that goes bad....as a civilization we should no where to cheap-out....NOWHERE...they KNEW this was going to fail the minute it left the factory....where's the quality anymore...strangely my Toyota 22RE engine (made in America) uses Harrison radiators~

135

To remove radiator, 1) disconnect transmission coolant lines. I see that line, but haven't figured out where to remove yet. 2) Remove two upper body to radiator bolts 3) Remove four condenser to radiator screws 4) One screw on passenger side. I'm working to find all these connections.