Hard to reach Radiator Drain Petcock

135

Asked by Nov 25, 2013 at 08:32 AM

I was able to unscrew the Drain Petcock on my radiator in order to flush the system.  
However, I know unable to tighten it back.  The plug is quite hard to reach and I have
to use an adjustable socket and mirror with flash light.  It is a plastic plug and I can
definitely turn the knob, but it doesn't lock in.  I'm thinking that it may require more
pressure when turning.  Any thoughts or tricks?

dgp

135

One trick I used to turn the plug was to cut two notches into a socket head. The plug is designed to be finger tighten, so it simply has a tab. The slotted socket head allows me to place the socket on the tab and turn. I can include a photo if anyone is interested. Still can't get the drain plug to close, however.

251,355

Are you working from the top of the vehicle or below? You didn't mention what vehicle your are working on, but I find that removing the plastic panels on the underside allows enough room to access it.

Best Answer Mark helpful
135

Tom, thanks for the insight. I'm working on a 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.5L. I didn't choose the vehicle option on the question, as I wanted more eyes. When I post to Dodge Stratus specifically I get limited views. This seemed like a general enough question. I am working from below, although I did take the piece which covers the top of the radiator off. Below, I removed the plastic guard, yet it is still a blind reach. I'll try again this evening thinking that perhaps the plug springs out and needs pressure and turning, rather than just turning. dgp

135

I used my tool in an attempt to tighten the petcock this evening and the darn thing broke off. Slow leak. Looks like I'll need to remove the radiator now. Big Job?

251,355

Sounds like it.