Now that i got truck fixed when I start it the smoke is just in abundance. Seems to be from under the passenger side by the exhaust?

45

Asked by Nov 19, 2013 at 05:28 PM

Also sounds like a rattle under the shifter...

...okay Tif, we gotta know what vehicle this is to proceed with the diagnosis...I've got a few ideas already, but cannot "shop" for the parts that will help fix your problem unless you tell me what you've got~....sorry for bein' a crabass~

45

Sorry it's a 1997 Ford f150 4.2 L 2wheel drive stepside.

PCV valve~ gets fouled with oil smoke deposits and forces the crankcase pressure to exit through the valve covers...causin' an oil leak~

https://www.google.com/#q=1997+Ford+f150+4.2+L+PCV+valve&tbm=shop

see the oil that is leaking from the V/C is dripping onto the exhaust manifold...creatin' a "SMOKE FACTORY"...so will shop for the v/c gaskets...you gotta say left or right~ okay~?

is your shift linkage all there? is it marginal and rattling around...am concerned now about your transmission mounts...have someone put a woodblock and floorjack under you transmission to see if the mounts are cohesive yet...can shop for these too if you find them to be defective....if the shift linkage has gone off it is because the geometry was altered by a faulty mount...okay...on that?~

45

ill check

45

but can i drive it?

237,845

With a lot of smoke, that means a lot of oil, so no, you might run the engine low on oil. Find the leak first, or whoever "fixed it", look at it again.

with the oil level topped to the high mark,,,and the removal altogether of the PCV valve...leaving the oil smoke out to the atmosphere rather than pressurizing the crankcase~ just get another PCV valve they're only a couple of bucks~

45

ok fellas well here's our problem today went out to try and start and it's not turning over and I noticed a large spark from the positive terminal and it seems to be melting it. The wires are crazy hot...Now what?

it it LOCKED up? that might be....not so good...see if we can get the motor turn...either a big bolt on the main crank...or put into third gear and push it (if manual)...sounds.....not so good~

237,845

Melted wire off the battery, seems you have a lot more going on than some smoke. You mentioned that you just had the truck fixed? Ah, have it towed to another shop to look at it for you and fix it properly.