what can i do to upgrade the motor on a 1987 pontiac firebird

Asked by Nov 19, 2013 at 09:15 AM

looking to purchase a 87 firebird formula its got a 305 in it with 140,000 miles. i also looking at a 1979 chevy camaro with a straight 6 in it. what would be a better build?

246,465

What are your plans?

I want to obviously end up with a v8 with either car but keeping the costs in mind. Which car can you find the most parts for when restoring and or upgrading and which one would be the easiest to work on?

246,465

I'd go with the newer car and the one that already has the V8. How is the rust and over condition of the car?

The car is in good condition rust very minimal lots of new parts, needs new headliner . Thanks for your input

Also needs a floor pan on drivers side but shouldn't be hard to replace

246,465

The reason I say the V8, because you can drop another motor in it easily, and not have to update the PCM or trans, brakes and rear end, etc.

3,955

the v8 car will already have motor mounts etc for a v8. the 305 is a crap motor. I would get the v8 car and swap in a 350. you will have to change the computer no matter what motor you swap in.