Why does my 1990 bronco shift hard?

Beneda Johnson

Asked by Nov 08, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I have a 90 bronco, it wants to shift
hard and continusly shift back and
forth while driving. When it shifts
hard you smell a horrible sninch. Will
stay in the last gear if rpm is up alot.
But mainly will keep shifts back and
forth going 65. Help

sounds like you need a trany rebuild you more then likely will find that some of the gears in the trany are striped or missing teeth it being of a 90's version means there is less electronics to take care or the shifting. so i think its time to hit the wreckers or pay out 1500 for a rebuild. i am not a ford person but thats what it sounds like to me

You might try servicing the trans, change the filter and add a quart of TransX before refilling the pan, then drive as you normally would, at this point it couldn't hurt to try, it might give you a little longer service but I'd be looking for a good rebuilt trans or if you can do without your rig for a period of time have yours rebuilt.

Beneda Johnson

Heard it could be the MLPS? what does that actually do?

MLPS is the fancy name for the neutral safety switch, usually if they are bad the check engine light will come on but not always with OBD1, it might be a good idea to have the codes checked.