The rear end is going out in my 78 cj7 what things should I look to for in order to fix it?

Asked by Nov 07, 2013 at 06:21 PM

I'm trying to find whats wrong in
order to fix it but I don't know what
to look for.

98,375

Is it howling, jumping if too much throttle is applied, metal shavings in gear lube. Any of the above problems indicate that the rear end needs overhauled, Rebuild kits are available in most parts stores, but if you have never done a rear end before then I would not recommend doing it yourself, setting the pinion depth, gear pattern and bearing clearances takes a little bit of finesse to get it right.

No howling or jumping it just squicked a little bit and that was it

Squeaked sorry

98,375

Try servicing the differentials, and if you have limited slip don't forget to add the correct limited slip additive.