Starting problems with 2004 Land Rover Freelander Diesel

Asked by Oct 25, 2013 at 03:45 PM

I am having problems starting my diesel after 12-24 hours rest. It takes 2-5 tries for the engine to fire. The rest of the day, it starts on the first try every time and the engine runs perfectly. I live in Barbados so cold temps are not a factor. Recently, the dealership closed and the maintenance turned over to a large dealership with well trained mechanics. Their only solution as to change the engine ?? - It has only 48000 km on the clock and it has been dealer maintained since new. I have read many comments on this car, and most are not flattering, but change the engine after 48000 km does not sound right to me - can anyone help?

Claus Christensen

35

i would say to check the glow plugs. i know that in many cases for diesel engines that i work with in the military, we have the same type of problem. it seems to me that you need to wait with just the battery on for a few minutes to try and actually start it. it's working throughout the day because the glow plugs are already warm