will a hole in your muffle cause your car to mis engine is v6 3800 2008 grand pre

15

Asked by Oct 09, 2013 at 11:21 PM

will a hole in your mufflercause your car to miss a little the car is 2008 grand pre v6  3800

get it fixed...then we can listen for the misfire...also change your filters and make sure the belt hasn't gone loose from a worn tensioner idler~

6,675

Yes, check the muffler bearings and kenutsen valve too.

Gooodwrench707, you aren't in NAPA?....I think I know who you are~

Gooodwrench707....bet your customers always return for your expert advise~

6,675

As a matter of fact they do. Wondering what the belt tensioner has to do with a misfire?

5,240

Because the tensioner will let the timeing belt jump. And when it jumps your timeing will be off and it will miss fire. Muffler bearing Really? He is talking about the timeing belt tensioner. If you work for NAPA I will never go there again an listen to their advice

5,240

I think I am going to go out and buy me a set of muffler bearings and a Kenutson valve Rae they universail? DAGH

6,675

There is no timing belt on this engine. It has a chain. "Muffler bearing" was a remark about his timing belt answer. If your checking for a timing belt, you might as well look for the muffler bearings too.

6,675

I double DAGH you. :-)

5,240

Strang that a 2008 3800 would not have a timeing belt my 1998 3800 buick had a timeing belt and not a chain. I think you better do some more research Goodwrench707. Look it up in your NAPA parts book. I bet its over head cam. Mine was and it had a belt GM is GM

5,240

And so does my brother inlaws 2004 grand pre with the 3800 engine

6,675

Chain, never a belt. http://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/index.php?i=2&model=790&make=146&year=2008§ion=10&catid=10007&type=parts&subcatid=&item_collision=0&items=none&image=NIP025&catid=10007

6,675

Triple DAGH. <:-o

6,675

2004 Grand Prix 3800 CHAIN. 4X DAGH: http://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/index.php?i=2&model=790&make=146&year=2004§ion=10&catid=10007&type=parts&subcatid=&item_collision=0&items=none&image=NCP040&catid=10007

5,240

Wounder how come we just but a timeing belt in it a couple mounths ago? Thats what came out and thats what carquest sold us. Plus I have 3800 mits engine 24 valve duol over head cms thats all so runs a belt. Whats that your NAPA book and thats why you have so many return customers because they are trying to get the right part

5,240

So Goodwrench do you work on cars or do you just sell the parts? Every 3800 I have worked on is a belt

210,095

Sprinter, NO, a hole in the muffler will not cause the engine to miss, they are two seperate issues. Fix the muffler first, then scan for codes to find out which cylinder is the problem.

6,675

Ronc258, That's because you're looking under the hood of a Mitsubishi. They didn't put Mitsubishi engines in the Pontiac Grand Prix. I don't work for Napa. I'm a GM mechanic. I believe you should look into a job at Napa though, so you can familiarize yourself on engine parts/brands, before you get fired from Jiffy Lube.

5,240

I was just messing with you Goodwrench707. We do not appreciate it when people come on here and make smart comments when we are all here to help each other and try to figure the problem out. I don not need to work I am retired

6,675

:-)

5,240

I don't think this guy ever did get a answer to his question. Yes Goodwrench707 the chevy 3800 motor is a chain driven cam. I think we should try and answer this guys question now though

6,675

I tried Ron, in a previous post. Stated that the engine would start missing, in park, at about 4000 rpm and drop to 3500rpm (explained rev limiter). Also stated power drops off, "no top end" when driving. I asked how fast he was going, and received no response (My thoughts "governor" at about 100-110 mph). If it's missing at idle, I would suggest plugs and wires, if they haven't been replaced in a long time.

Best Answer
15

thankyouall for helping it was plugs and wires thank you again

5,240

ok I did not see the other post. Sounds like it was plugs and wires though

435

a hole in any a muffler will never cause and engine to misfire, period. and no i dont read up.

We can ALWAYS learn things here on this site...for example a Chrysler 300 engine has the camshaft geared to the crank...like the ole' Volkswagens used to~ never would have thought that someone would chose this un-harmonic way of going about things~

fellas, was referring to the component belt tensioner...and as a matter of routine maintenance...they go bad and get noisy...that's all...timing belts wear and break..chains WILL stretch, scrub away the wear shoes and push the tensioner piston as far as it will go....double chains are a bit wonky, but are sturdier....lot more noise...lot more moving mass~gears often sing as song or two songs in resonance~