Oil filters for 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix

5

Asked by Sep 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I have replaced the engine in my 92 Grand Prix with one from a 93  Chevy Corsica.
Both are 3.1 L V6's. I have always used Fram 3980 oil filters in the original engine.
Fram says that the filter for the Corsica is 3887A. , not 3980 as in the 92 Pontiac. The
3980 is identical to the 3387A except it is about 1.5" longer.
To further confuse the issue, Fram says that the 94  Grand Prix  (3.1 L ) uses the
3387A.
Can I safely use the longer one in the Corsica engine (Fram 3980 )?  Space is not an
issue. Thanks,  Sonnyk

Increased filtration is always a concern...the Miatta filter is SO small....cruds up in a hurry...always been a fan of the ole PH-1A which is a basic ford filter, but has almost a quarts worth of filtration~

1,610

the 3980 should be fine for your use.

Best Answer
94,995

Should be ok as long as it has an anti drain back valve in it.

365

Should not be ok'. Stick to manufacturing specs.

mfg spec on the Corsica? 3980 or the Grand Prix 3387a ? The block threads for the 3387A...this is the one you must use~

1,610

fram says that both the filters carry the same 18mm x 1.5mm thread, best i can tell.

As an automotive designer, I would most assuredly chose the largest size that would fit there...perhaps the smaller size was first? same thread profile...do we know the areas of pressure and suction are in the same ports?~