Oil change

Asked by Sep 27, 2013 at 07:51 PM

What engine oil is preferable to use for a 2005 accord i4
having a mileage of approximately 180000 miles?

Stick to the recommended 5w20? Or go higher due to
mileage? And if to go higher in viscosity, which pls?.

263,915

Stick with 5W-20

Thanks Tom. Just got this accord and I was told by the former owner that he did 3 oil changes wt 20w50. So, was fearful of reverting to 5w20. But if you feel there will be no effects/problems, I will get 5w20 for oil change.

1,670

i would call 180k, clearenced by wear. if you start using oil after going with the 5w-20 you might want to use 10w-30 or 40. 20w-50 seems like overkill unless there were oil consumption problems.

Tnx wlogan. Cnt tell if there were any oil issues, and from my primary inspection, I didn't notice any smoke frm the exhaust wen I rev. Will go wt 10w30 to be on the safe side & will get back to you guys wt the details. Thanks for all year input

8,175

See this link before you decide to change oil viscosity from the recommended 5w-20. Unless you really hate your engine? http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/index.html Scroll down to "10W-30, The Heavy Duty Alternative Oil?" when you get to the page.

Tnx wlogan. I just noticed oil shortage on the accord after a trip. And, its the 20w50 still in the engine. I'm getting uncomfortable wt this new development. If 20w50 burns oil, 5w20 that is lighter wld be ........

1,670

sounds bad. have you checked closely for leaks ? how much oil did it use and how many miles ? if you checked the rock auto opinion, he has already started backing off his opinion this month and he didn't address engines with many miles on them. the switch to 20-50 may have very well been due to oil consumption. check your crankcase ventilation like the pcv and breather hose. building pressure will cause oil to disappear.