just bought a 1990 Isuzu pickup cheap for a beater. but,...the head is cracked and cant find another motor for it anywhere. are there other motors compatible with it? like GM maybe?

Asked by Sep 25, 2013 at 09:37 PM

Just bought a 1990 Isuzu pickup as a beater and low and behold the head is cracked. Are there any compatible motors that I could replace it with? like GM maybe?

Alan Welch

Is it a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder? ( model 4ZD1). They do crack between valve seats but I'd get a head from a junkyard rather than swap engines as harness, sensors etc are too much work. I had the same problem with that engine in my 86 Trooper

cant seem to find a head around here either for it. hate to scrap my 1990 Isuzu pickup but looks like it may be my only option.

Alan Welch

here are 2 sources... (1) for new $320 bar or $420 with valves / springs. Not sure about these guys (King) but their website looks ok. claim to be a US based company. those prices are good as the Isuzu dealer quoted me $1500 in the 1990's for new. http://www.kingcylinderheads.com/Isuzu/Isuzu-cylinder-head- K740CG.html (2) My favorite website however is RockAuto and I have ordered lots of stuff from them. They are a class act... More expensive part at $1000 minus core charge... from Marshall who does their engine work... general website: http://www.rockauto.com/ or for your cyl head...(1990 pickup) http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1176555,parttype,5304 I'd go for the head with valves installed to be honest as it saves machine shop hassles. good luck.

i have a 90 isuzu pickup, and the motor started knocking while running. i havent started it since. what could it be? heads? or something in the engine block more likely? thoughts?