Wht won't my Dodge Durango stay started?

Asked by Sep 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM

My check engine light is on and as soon as
I put it in drive it shuts off. Please help

Too much guesswork without OBD codes....it needs a scan. Yeah, I get it, you can't put it in gear and it run to get to parts house for scan, but if you can beg borrow buy or steal a scanner....they are not all that expensive. You do know that is just a metaphor about stealing .... eh? Then you will have one for future use..it won't be a one time thing,

69,295

Have the computer scanned and post the trouble code(s) here. Auto parts stores like Advance and Autozone will do it free. Sounds like a problem with the torque converter clutch, in the transmission, stuck on. The torque converter clutch locks in at cruising speeds to improve fuel economy. But if it gets stuck on the vehicle will start and run fine in park but as soon as you put it in gear the engine will stall. HTH. -Jim

I am a female lol! How do I scan to get the codes and where do I find the codes? I know nothing about cars

My car can't even make it to Autozone or any other place as soon as I put it in drive it cuts off

69,295

You'll need a scan tool. If your Durango is a '96 or newer model it's OBD II (Onboard Diagnostics Two). You can get a scan tool at your local auto parts store for around $50.00. Under the dash, near the steering column is a large black plug looking thing. That's what you'll plug your new scan tool into. It's called the ALDL (Assembly Line Data Link) connector. Follow the directions that come with your new scan tool and post the code(s) here. HTH. - Jim

I found the code it was P0121

69,295

Awesome!! That code means "accelerator position sensor signal low". Your Durango does not have a throttle cable like older models. It has a sensor mounted to the gas pedal. This sensor sends a signal to the computer and when you press on the gas pedal the signal changes and the computer revvs your engine accordingly. You'll see an electrical plug on the gas pedal assembly. Make sure it's plugged in and it's secure. Try unplugging it then plugging it back in. If doing that doesn't solve the problem you'll want to replace the gas pedal assembly. Note, this is not to be confused with the throttle position sensor. You want the accelerator position sensor. HTH. -Jim