Is it illegal for a car dealership to sell you an all-wheel drive car with different tires on it?

Asked by Sep 12, 2013 at 05:35 PM

I recently bought an 2002 Audi Allroad from a used car dealership. I took it to Firestone to  
get an oil change and after, they told me that it has different tires on the car. They told
me that they need to be changed asap and it's dangerous for me to drive the car. I told
my friend who knows a bunch about cars and things that have to do with cars and he told
me that it was illegal for the dealership to sell me an all-wheel drive car with different
tires. Is it true? If so, what do I do?

242,255

Illegal? I never heard that. Maybe if you were buying a new car. But you bought a used car. While you shouldn't have different tires on the car, and if they are all the same size and worn the same amount you are fine. Firestone wants your business. Different treaded tires will place undue wear on the drive system if the tires are very much different. So if the tires are worn/close to the wear bars then by all means replace them.

415

Illegal, no. There are a lot of unknowns here, but the car can come with no wheels at all, if you bought it as is as seen, its up to you to investigate your purchase before you sign. There is a small window of diameter difference like 2-3mm before bad things happen, even different tread patterns. Its ideal to get 4 new matching tires that will wear together and follow the rotation schedule, check air pressure etc. While not being, illegal, there is nothing stopping you from bringing it to their attention and asking for help, if they are a decent dealership they may have overlooked it and will correct it.