How to convert a Dana 60 from a dually to single wheel so I can install on buggy


Asked by Sep 07, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Question type: Car Customization

Dana 60 came off 1973 f350 dually

5 Answers

You don't have to convert anything. Just install the axle and put only one wheel on, just get the right lug nuts


If you don't want the deep dish wheel then you will have to buy new wheels but if not then David is correct.

1 of 1 people found this helpful.

David/tennisshoes most axles from a Dualled truck are wider than their single wheel counter part. Depending on the year and brand your looking at 2" to 4" extra lenght per side. Jakediaz - Do you want stock width or custom. If you want stock it might be easier to trade, I know they are getting hard to find. Dam scrap price eating all of the good old parts. If not you will have to modify the axle or send it away to get modified. Since this is a full float you'll want to leave the bearing races alone. You will have to drill/cut the welds that hold the axle tubes to the center section. Cut the required lenght from each tube then re-weld square. The alxes will have to be cut and re-splined. While you have the tubes separated you could adjust your pinion angle, would save cuting off and re-welding the spring brakets (unless your beefing up the suspension anyway). While your digging around the passenger side should have those anoying left hand lug nuts, I'd change them out.


Yeti, if he is going to put it on a buggy he would want a wider track so the tires can bite into fresh sand or mud and not lose traction by running in the front tire tracks, of course if he really get into then he can have a custom set of wheels made and really put some tires on with a whole lot of bite.


Yes, but he is asking how to convert. I'm sure he knows that regular rims will bolt up. And it depends on the buggy. Most want the axle narrower than stock to allow them to run wider tires without protruding to far. Open areas and sand the width woudn't matter, bush hills or rocks you don't want to be wider than you have to be.

Your Answer


Car Customization Experts

  • #1
    Tom Demyan
  • #2
  • #3
View All

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.