Is it legal to sell a pink slip And vin tag?

Asked by Aug 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Question type: General

Few year ago I decided to scrap my rusty project car. I asked the recycling guy if he
wanted my car when he drove by my house.  He came back with the saw and chop my
car up and loaded the parts on his truck.   I still have the pink and vin plate.  Just
wondering if I can sell it.  Thank you.

2 Answers


Check with your local DMV, a lot of States are real picky about titles and number plates. Most auto wreckers report the numbers as destroyed or salvaged parts so you may not even have anything there to sell.

1 out of 1 people think this is helpful.

No, each VIN is for the specific vehicle it was originally applied to at the factory. Even on very old vehicles a VIN can contain model year info, series info, and build plant info. Example: K6235958 was the complete VIN for my old '66 Cadillac. It tells us it was a Calais pillared sedan (K), 1966 model (6), and it was the 135958th vehicle produced. My advice would be just destroy the VIN tag and pink slip. That's what is supposed to happen when a vehicle reaches the end of its useful life. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer

Your Answer

Add photo

Related Questions

  • where is the vin number tag? 4 answers

    I have looked high and low for the vin number tag. I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where the tag is located?

    1965 Chevrolet Suburban



  • vin # 3 answers

    I bought a 1964 GTO to restore but now I question the vin # as a gto. The vin shows a six cyc motor but I understand that gto all came with v-8. which is in the vehicle. Vin # is 624m14675. Body tag...

    1964 Pontiac GTO Coupe



  • VIN location?? 8 answers

    The only ID info I can find on this 64 Anglia I want to sell, is afew tags on the fenders under the hood.....Anyone help me out on this?

    1964 Ford Anglia




    1964 Ford Falcon



  • califonia legal cat converters. 6 answers

    do i need a California legal cat converter ($380 ish) for the vehicle that is tagged as calf legal emissions? or just a cat converter for a tribute? ( $280 ish) i do NOT reside in CA but i do need to...

    2003 Mazda Tribute ES V6 4WD


    Maintenance & Repair


Search General Questions

UK Questions

Are you a UK consumer? CarGurus now has a discussion forum in the UK.

General Experts

#1 Tom Demyan
Tom Demyan
Reputation 42,750
Reputation 36,130
#3 FordNut
Reputation 29,640
View All