Is it legal to sell a pink slip And vin tag?

Asked by Aug 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Few year ago I decided to scrap my rusty project car. I asked the recycling guy if he
wanted my car when he drove by my house.  He came back with the saw and chop my
car up and loaded the parts on his truck.   I still have the pink and vin plate.  Just
wondering if I can sell it.  Thank you.

87,075

Check with your local DMV, a lot of States are real picky about titles and number plates. Most auto wreckers report the numbers as destroyed or salvaged parts so you may not even have anything there to sell.

61,345

No, each VIN is for the specific vehicle it was originally applied to at the factory. Even on very old vehicles a VIN can contain model year info, series info, and build plant info. Example: K6235958 was the complete VIN for my old '66 Cadillac. It tells us it was a Calais pillared sedan (K), 1966 model (6), and it was the 135958th vehicle produced. My advice would be just destroy the VIN tag and pink slip. That's what is supposed to happen when a vehicle reaches the end of its useful life. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer