2003 Hyundai Sonata - charging system problems

Asked by Aug 27, 2013 at 01:50 PM

I have a 2003 Hyundai Sonata.  My battery light was flickering even though I had a new battery.  My mechanic found axle grease in my alternator, so he installed a new one.  Now it makes a high-pitch whine.  Is that normal?

88,655

It may whine for about 15 miles but it should then quiet down, it takes a little bit for the brushes to seat. If it stays the same then there is a problem with the alternator internally. Where did the grease come from?

The axle was leaking grease and it leaked into the alternator. My mechanic said it may have been just the axle getting old and cracking. Thanks for the answer! I'll take it back in if the whine continues.

6,515

it could also be the belt squealing, did you get a new axle and alternator ?