I am interested in the Chrysler Crossfire but wondering why the prices are so low since they are relatively rare. I am also interested in the 370Z Nissan whos prices are higher for similar years. Which is the best car? Which is the best year for these cars? Thank you.

70

Asked by Jul 28, 2013 at 03:15 PM

I'd like to spend not more than $25,000 for either a Crossfire or a 370Z. Which is the best car for resale, reliability? Also why is the Crossfire priced so low for such a rare car? I realize they have two tire sizes. Does the 370z also have this? I would like either of these cars with low miles and no previous accidents. I know some cars had better years than other. Which year would you recommend for these two models?  I live in B.C. Canada. Thanks for your help.

24,115

Personally, I say no-go on the Crossfire, which got the axe after 2008 model year...it was never an outstanding car and you can count on low resale value and low reliability. Here's what Consumer Reports (CR) has to say: The outdated steering system makes the handling neither as precise nor as sporty as one expects of a two-seater. Also that it has a "clunky six-speed manual transmission". Why are they priced so low for whatever quantities Dealers have left = LOW Demand and desperation to get rid of them! The Nissan 370Z is far superior. CR has it on their Recommended List and reports the following: The Z two-seater shares mechanical components with the Infiniti G coupe, including a wonderfully strong and smooth V6. Acceleration is very quick, and fuel economy is respectable. The six-speed manual is a bit notchy but easy to use. Reliability has improved to above average. I would avoid the 2009 model year (1st year for the 370Z, changing over from the 350Z) as there were Transmission, Electrical and Minor Engine Problems reported. 2010 and up should be fine. Hope this helps!! :)

70

Thanks, Racer. Doesn't the crossfire come in an automatic tranny as well? I am used to driving a Wrangler for the past 20 years so judging handling and precise steering of the crossfire may seem good to me. I don't know. Haven't driven one yet. Have you driven one? I don't want a car that is TOO precise because it could oversteer with a short wheelbase. They are sure cute cars. I will check out reliability again because everything I read about repairs was favorable...owners really seem to like the cars and they are hard to find. I think the Z is real hot looking too but a lot more $$$$. Thanks for info on best year for 370Z. Anyone selling one for under $30,000 with low miles, and not a convertible?

24,115

Hi Motormouth...The Crossfire was available with an optional 5 speed Auto Tranny (6 speed Manual was standard equipment). I know you're from Canada, but I can honestly say that most smart Americans who take the time to research cars avoid Chrysler products because of their poor reliability track record (The people who DO buy them have done zero research and just want a cheap set of wheels...Remember the Yugo from the mid 80's? Well, that is a PERFECT example of what I'm trying to say here). No, I've never driven one and with the single exception of ONE that I saw on a highway 2 weeks ago, I haven't seen one in MANY years. Sales and production of these cars took a serious downturn from 2004-2008 and very few were imported into the USA during its final 2 years. These cars were built in Germany and share 80% of it's components with the Mercedes Benz SLK320 = Nightmare repair bills and the chance that some parts may have limited to no availability since the car is no longer made. Check Wikipedia for more overall details. Now, I have owned a Nissan 350Z Coupe and loved it...as with any REAL sportscar, there was some degree of oversteer and understeer, but it wasn't excessive with the Z, in my honest opinion. In contrast, the sportcar I have now, the Mazda MX-5 Miata is VERY precise and also a lot lighter than the Z, so it's more prone to this...thankfully, stability & traction control systems compensate...I enjoy a car I can toss around corners though (it's definitely NOT for everyone though). Since the 370Z Coupe is less costly than the Z Roadster (convertible version), you can definitely find some 2010 and 2011 Coupes for under $30k and with low miles. The 2011 models have the available Synchro Rev Match feature which "blips" the throttle and matches revs on downshifts & upshifts, a nice feature to have (if you buy a 6 speed manual). Not sure where you're looking to buy one from, but most Nissan Dealers will have some 2010 and 2011's. Good Luck!

24,115

Opps...One more VERY important thing: The Crossfire was only 215 HP, the Nissan 370Z has 332 HP....big difference!

24,115

Hope all of this information was helpful, Motormouth! I was wrong about one thing...parts for the Crossfire are likely still available, since the Mercedes Benz SLK series is still being made....God only knows what parts would cost, since they may have to be shipped from Germany. Let me know what you end up getting!! Good Luck with whatever car you purchase though!

70

Well, I would quess parts would be as easy to get for the crossfire as for most cars since most are built all over the world these days. Do people have to order parts from Germany for their BMW's or Mercedes? Anyone know? Anyone got a crossfire? Thanks for the good luck wishes, Racer. I'll let you know!

70

I found a 2005 coupe at a dealers in Victoria, B.C. Canada (which is closer to where I live) It has 36,000 km, is immaculate, tires and brakes 60%. They want $18,000 plus tax...works out to about $21,000 total. Too much? I saw photos and it is clean...blue with leather seats. What do you think?

24,115

I had a 2005 Nissan Z Coupe and loved it. 36,000 km (or 22k miles) is VERY good. You might be able to do a little better on price though...see if you can negotiable down a little. (It's a fairly decent price though). Assuming this is a 6 speed manual, not the automatic and Enthusiast or maybe Touring trim level??

6,495

WHOA Motormouth, You haven't driven one yet but your worried about prices ! You are going from the ease and comfort that a lot of access/egress space offers you getting in and out of your Jeep wrangler, to basically "get on the ground and crawl on in" for the Chrysler Crossfire. Remember good people get killed by a thing called Crossfire ! Oh and while your in the Crossfire, could you let the trailer truck next to you know if his tires have enough air in them, since you'll be so close to them.

24,115

Well Fordtudor37...These type of low slung, 2 seater sportscars are DEFINITELY NOT for everyone...I realize that each and every day as I pass 12,000 Toyota Camry's and Prius on the highway in my MX-5...well not everyday. Rainy days (like today on the East Coast) and snowy days, you'll find me in my 4WD SUV. BUT I know that there are a TON of people whose brains are wired differently (I guess) and don't understand it when I zip by them with the top down on a beautiful sunny in a convertible (or in my Nissan Z Coupe when I owned that). I AM discouraging Motormouth from buying a Crossfire (I hope)...as it's not the best sportscar bet at ALL. If you're NOT into these kinds of cars, just fine by me....The world's highways would be a helluva lot more insane if everyone drove one! LOL!

6,495

Earth to "Racer_X", earth to "Racer_X" come in please ! I have NO IDEA what your thinking by leaving the past comment but you obviously got it ALL WRONG ! My comment to "Motormouth" was to go for it if that is what he truly wants, BUT to realize the ease of getting in and out of a Jeep Wrangler is vastly different then a Chrysler Crossfire, never mind the numerous issues they have mechanically "hence the Crossfire innuendo" and that doesn't take into account the fact that if "Motormouth" is a tall person (maybe the reason why he had a Jeep in the first place) he might find it extremely difficult getting in and out of the car in bad weather or even on a daily bases. You need to learn to ask questions FIRST BEFORE ASSUMING what someone else is trying to say. AND to set the record straight, check out my garage page and look at my black '31 Ford 5 window coupe, enough said !

70

Well, guys, most cars are small these days and getting smaller. I could have bought a new Honda Accord, but that felt like I was sitting in a tin can. I don't want a ubiquitous car. The Crossfire is built by Mercedes, and it's not junk. Also, don't assume I'm a dude....I am a petite female and will have no trouble getting into the Crossfire....I know. I sat in a 370Z and a couple of RX8's (which I used to have) I DO have trouble getting into my Wrangler since I am short and it has a rather high step in. Before you assume the Crossfire is a piece of junk, look on the Crossfire forum pages. It is also built by Chrysler and I happen to be fond of that brand since my Jeep is 19 years old and runs like a top. ANY sports car is going to need more maintenance. But it's a unique car, this little Crossfire and it will beat the pants off of anything else on the road...wanna race??

6,495

My apologies to you miss. I did not mean Ill will, its just that I have known of more then 5 Crossfires that were at best a door stop after 65K miles. Wanna Race ?? Sure, go into my garages and check out my black '31 Ford coupe. Varoom, varoom

24,115

Guess I misunderstood what you previously stated @Fordtudor...My bad. I'm not trying to argue with people on the internet...so I'll just let you and the OP type to yourselves...Good Luck with whatever car that you do choose, MM. Peace..

6,495

"Happy safe motoring everyone".

55

I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Limited for sale. It has 40,000 miles and is in perfect condition. Has been babied it's whole life and is immaculate. I am located in Sioux City, IA and my asking price will be much less than any dealership as well. Feel free to contact me if you are still interested in one of these cars. My email is: Cassidykeleher@yahoo.com

50

I think I should step in here. I just bought a 2005 crossfire with 38000 miles for 8 grand. Thank God for poor resale! :-) These cars are the best deal on the road period. There is nowhere for the price to go. Chances are these are second cars. Go buy a new nissan and you will be out 8 grand in resale the day you buy it!

90

Can't believe the negativity on the Crossfire. I have two of them. A 2007 limited coupe and a 2007 Roadster. I have had my coupe for 5 years. It has 62,000 miles on it with 0 problems. Great car. I just bought a 2007 Roadster with 14,000 miles. Looks like new.

60

Darwin, I too do not understand all the "bad-mothing" about the Crossfire. I have a 2005 Roadster that looks just like you 2007. It has 97k miles on it and I will buy another one when this one dies. I have had a few problems, but it does have 97k miles on it!!! Don't knock a car based on what you have read. If you haven't owned one, how can you advise someone else not to purchase it? Shirley

70

Anyone who says a crossfire is a poor car is immediately classified as a moron in my opinion. This is a Mercedes in Chrysler clothing. Do your research and you will understand that this is a fantastic car. Great value for the money!

20

I'm now looking at these, since I've always been in awe of them Great cars they are... every forum will have posts on problems, what car is perfect, but don't let that sway you from the majority that have had zero problems... the forums are for "those" cases that do have a certain problem

50

i know this post is old, but i don't quite get the xfire bashing either. bought mine 5 years ago. no problems. 6 speed is great and if it had any more ponies, i'd probably kill myself in it. i bought a '72 240Z new and an '83 RX7 new...the crossfire is my favorite, by far. i'm looking for a second one.

50

I am driving my son's 2007 Crossfire. It has 119,000 miles on it. No problems. I have had people stop me in parking lots admiring it. I'm a senior citizen. It does make me feel young.

My wife doesn't drive so sports handling or the likes is not the number one concern for me. She just always like the car so thinking of buying it as an anniversary gift and maybe it will inspire as she sees her car sitting in the garage. For the price of about 8k I'm seeing, appears to be a win win situation.

30

I have a crossfire for sale...really cheap and in great condition only 22k. if your interested email me, xshep@hotmail.com

30

I'm selling it on the site for 10k OBO

20

I see them going really cheap now, 4-6k clean!

35

I recently purchased a 2004 Crosssfire with 20k miles. The only thing that I have had to do is replace the original tires which were 11 years old. I love it. It is the best $7700 I have ever spent on a car. People who look at it think that I just purchased it new and can't believe that it is 11 years old. Yes, as stated earlier, it only has 215 hp, but the SRT version has 335hp and is a match for most Nissan Z cars. I expect to keep this car for at least 20 years, or until I die, which ever come first. (I'm in my 70s) If the price on this car falls much lower, I'll buy another. The paint job on every Crossfire that I have ever seen is amazing. Chrysler or Mercedes, who ever did the painting did a far better job than on any of the 4 Nissans that I have owned.

I bought an SRT6 last year with only 12K on it and have put another 10K on it so far. Fantastic, high quality car. I wasn't looking for a sports car, but I found this to be the best deal out there for low mileage and cost. Looks brand new. They must have used a very high quality paint. This is a hand built Mercedes engine. The only maintenance/repairs I needed to do were a couple of small items easily gleaned from the forums and change the oil. I am basically driving a brand new, Mercedes quality, great looking, fun to drive car for a fraction of the cost of the average run of the mill vehicle out there. It puts a smile to my face every time I get to drive it. Seriously, do you see any other cars out there with 20K miles for under $8K like the poster mentioned above? So you can pay your $8K+ and get some other beat up car with 100K miles, and pay through the roof for repairs/maintenance or pick up one of these low mile like new cars. No brainer if you don't need the extra seats. I am nearly 60 and have had a lot of nice cars, Corvette, Jaguar XJ8 VDP, MR2 Turbo, etc. This is by far the best deal, lowest issue car I have ever had. It's like I stole a new car for 75% off. (I did like the MR2 Turbo handling better though has much more growl and speed). My wife doesn't like the stiff suspension, low seating, and lack of space. She prefers our Suburban. For me and my running around, I definitely prefer the Crossfire.

Meant to say the SRT6 has more growl and speed than the MR2 Turbo.

Thanks for all the info. I am interested in a Crossfire coupe, automatic. Any recommendations about specifics to look for and where you have found the best ones/best priced ones? It seems to be a Mercedes in Chrysler dress and that suits me!

35

I purchased a 2004 Crossfire with a 6 speed manual shift in June 2015 for $7700 on ebay. It had 20k miles on it. I am now a little over 23k. Here is what else I have had to spend to get it where I wanted it. The PA sales tax was about $600. I had a Chrysler dealer do an overall inspection which included the PA yearly inspection all for about $400. The tires were original and dry rotted, so I replaced them for about $650. The AM radio was not working, so I put in a window antenna for about $100. The FM and CD player work really well. I was hounded by warranty companies, so I chose a 60 month, 100,000 mile full warranty on all parts with a $100 deductible for an upfront cost of $2360 from Vehicle Service Center in Irvine CA. I just did a 3000 mile oil change which took 8 quarts of the best synthetic oil for $100. I purchased an online owner’s manual which states that the Crossfire only uses 5 quarts, but the Monro Muffler shop insisted that it requires 8. Not counting gasoline and the oil changes, I have spent a little under $12k for this car. Now, I love this car. The paint on it is amazing. Everyone who sees it thinks that it is a new car. I rarely use 1st gear: instead I use 2nd gear which I find gives me a smoother start. I only use 1st gear when I am facing up on a steep hill. I don’t think that I would trade this car for many other ones, accept maybe a Crossfire SRT 6, or a Tesla. Jim

I bought mine on Ebay. I saw one sell for about the price I wanted to pay and offered that same amount to another seller who had theirs listed as buy it now or best offer. You might want to look at crossfireforum.org where people list their cars for sale. Prices can range all over the place for this car. A guy had one just like the one I bought up, but was in the same city I am in, but he wanted $6K more that what I got mine for and he wouldn't budge. So it all depends on the seller. I bought mine with very low miles so I didn't need to worry too much about condition. Though I am sure the low mile cars will be harder to find through time.

Thanks for the quick response. Searching for one this week.

Jimbloomquist or others I now have 04 crossfire and the tires are dry rotted, can you share where you purchased yours from for $650.I also need two rims with caps along with two additional caps ( which were stolen)

35

I purchased the tires online at Tire Rack. Then I had them mounted at my local Monro Muffler dealer. The specific tires are 2 225/40ZR-18 General G-MAX AS-03 XL at $120.39 each or $240.78 2 255/35ZR-19 General G-MAX AS-03 XL at $184.48 each or $368.96. I am pleased with their traction and ride. Jim Bloomquist

5

I bought a new 2006 Crossfire roadster manual with a sticker price of $41K and now have 19K miles with no problems: new battery, new tires @ 15K miles. Loved it so much that I bought a 2005 roadster automatic with 48K miles last year for $9K - no problems, just new tires.

10

Bought me a sexy 04 crossfire limited automatic 2 days ago with 90k miles on it and it runs like a dream! New tires, belts, and battery... I am in love with the thing. Interior and exterior have held true for 12 years so beautifully. Definitely undervalued

30

i just bught an 04 with 21,000 miles kept in a climate controlled garage has brand new 1200.00 tires and a brand new 126.00 interstate battery like brand new even smells new all for 7000 wow

Wow this site makes me feel better! I'm looking at an 04 Crossfire that has a clean car fax and looks awesome with only 74k miles on it. The issues of stalling and not restarting I have heard about really concern me especially since we are looking at this for our son. Any comments on that? My email is lifegetsbetter.com@gmail.com if anyone has any urgent comments as we are literally about to pull the trigger on this baby by Friday.