what is the fix for a smog test failure

Asked by Jul 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM

what is the fix for a smog test failure aside from replacing the catalytic converter? I have to have my car but have limited funds

232,855

A good tune up. Is your CEL on?

If the smog guy says it needs a new catalytic convertor, , and you trust him, there is no way around a new cat..especially if you are in California or a State with similar standards. I am sympathetic about the cash output, do not mean to sound callous about it. Trust me I know how it feels ..but if you answer Tom, and let us know if you have any OBD codes thrown maybe we can help

65,025

Yes please post any trouble codes. Advance or Autozone auto parts stores will scan your computer for free. Many things can cause a smog test failure. Not just the catalytic converter. Year, make and model of the vehicle will help too. HTH. -Jim

1,505

what did you fail on, it could be many things just let us know if there are any codes, and what category your car failed on.