Is the length of time a car sits on the lot the only leverage a customer has when asking for the "best price" I am interested in a 2012 Mazda Miata. They are brand new and sitting on the lot for over a year. Dealer will not come down much. Why?

Asked by Jul 22, 2013 at 01:29 PM

Do dealerships loose money on cars the longer they sit in the lot?

77,735

Stubborn dealer, or they might just want to sit on them and see what supply and demand will do for them. Or they might just be waiting for Mazda to buy them back, there is no rhyme or reason.

24,095

Being the current owner of a 2011 MX-5 Miata, I can tell you that the Dealer is probably being a bit greedy because it IS summertime (lots of demand for convertibles now and much less demand in the colder months) and this car holds its value very well, so he wants to get every dime possible. I would suggest that you shop around ..not sure what features you want, but I was able to get a 2011 Grand Touring 6 speed Manual with Leather seats, Premium Package and Power Retractable Hard Top and only 1,410 miles for $23k in July 2012. Brand New would've cost around $32-$33k. Actually bought it from an Acura Dealer..the car is virtually the same from 2010 to 2013, so maybe consider a 2010/2011 model and save some $$. Please don't get the Auto Trans Miata whatever you do though, it's less HP (158 instead of 167) and fun factor is greatly diminished.