What's the best way to tell if the piston is up. I stuck a screwdriver in the hole and it goes in.But the tdc is on 0. Should the screwdriver not go in

70

Asked by Jun 30, 2013 at 08:56 AM

106,065

Use caution. Rotate engine over slowly by hand. Screw driver should move in and out of spark plug hole as engine turns. The spot between where the screw driver stops going out and starts going back in is the top of the piston stroke.

70

Thanks the screwdriver is goin in touchin block and the rotor button is at 12 or should it b at 1

106,065

What make, model and engine are we talking about. I could possible get you a diagram showing firing order if I knew those things.

dandy his username is 79f100..so maybe a1979 F100 Ford truck? Just a guess....

106,065

Yes I thought that but several engine sizes listed for that year.

My '78 has a 351W

106,065

http://www.mre-books.com/shopmanuals/firingorder.html

106,065

Now that one should cover anything he might have in it. Lol

For what it's worth..click to see it......351W

106,065

Looked back on some of his earlier posts and he has a 351w. DavidH25 is dead on again.

Then there you go..now it doesn't have breaker points ya know, but (I know it's not polite to talk about you in 3rd person 79f100) but what do you mean about the rotor being at 12 or 1..like 12 on a clock? That would depend on which way you are looking at it. The rotor should be pointed at #1 with #1 at TDC on compression stroke, and the timing is 6 to 8 before TDC..that image shows it at 12 BTDC I don't know why that is

I looked up the specs and it says 10 BTDC but I have always set mine at 8...and it runs like a champ. Matter of fact I set it by ear. Then if I put a light on it it's always about 8...I get about 10mpg. which is actually pretty good