My brake lights on my 1996 ford truck. Are not working. Thay were working before I mess with the brake switch on the pedal. I put a new switch in. and thay still ant working.my?is what could be the promblem.

Asked by Jun 29, 2013 at 12:16 AM

22,925

slow down there Taz- were your brake lights working before you changed the switch- or not? You must have changed the switch because the lights were inop. Correct? I'm cornfused

8,685

The first thing to do is to turn on the 4-way emergency flashers. If they work, check the bulbs at the back. If they are not flashing I would start with new bulbs. It takes bulb number 3157. If the flashers do not work at all, then the fuse is likely gone. Put in a new fuse, and you may find your brake lamps working. It is possible you shorted out the fuse when you changed the switch. The emergency flashers share a fuse with the brake lights. Also, check and make certain the switch is installed correctly. The two 'ears' on the switch must be on either side of the brake pedal arm, with the switch body pointed toward the rear of the car.