Air conditioning compressor... can I take it off my GMC sierra & put it on a 1990 Mercury Cougar?

Asked by Jun 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM

The compressor works but I have no
condenser.. I want to take it out and
put it on a Mercury Cougar.. is it
possible to switch it out???

Might be the same manufacturer~....the dimensions must probably be similar...would take inventory on mechanically would there be some interference, but to be certain, just get on for the Cougar online~ in theory the operating pressures are the same...none of the air conditioning principals are different when it comes to the compressor~ you're going into uncharted territory here my friend, but this CAN work~!

Eaton....or Harrison or GM Frigidaire? MFR may be the same...not Ford Rotunda or FoMoco...they job it to their A/C department...sometimes manufacturers get lazy and just go with something they know is going to work for example Ford/Mazda and Chrysler/Mitsubishi....Mfrs are goddamned Lazy and do not want to do their homework~

If you want to get scientific can study pressures, input and output...volumes and operating pressures, RPM of the device to operate with any measure of output...belt size...there are many considerations, including the refrigerant is going to have to be hermetically sealed and the connection tubing probably does not have a lot of wiggle room, though have soft hoses aren't ripe for relocation~