77 F150 auto 6 cylinder starting problems

Asked by Jun 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I tried the positive cables connected to the pos of batt to the solenoid
when i connected the neg cable my alternator started running?  why is that .

89,035

It probably means that you have bad diodes in you alternator.

whats a diodes?

89,035

They are an electronic device that only allows voltage to go only one way so a voltage feedback won't happen. I your case it sounds like a complete failure.

Does anyone has another suggestion ... Any other solutions ? Does that mean I have to get a new alternator?

89,035

Yep, and you better replace the regulator also. Fortunately the older Ford alternators are very reasonably priced at your local parts store. I am guessing that you have either a 30 or 40 amp alternator as you only have the 300 cid 6 cylinder engine.

I also tried the positive cables to 2 sides of the solenoid and finally thr truck started.. someone mention if this is the case then I should have a ignition or safety switch issue...?