Hi, my 1970 Ford Torino GT with 351 Cleveland has a (factory) non-functional air scoop

Asked by Jun 05, 2013 at 12:22 PM

My question is would it help with engine cooling if I simply cut holes in the hood sheet
metal underneath the air scoop to make it functional. Is there any downside to doing so.
This seems like a pretty simple thing to do, anybody tried this or know if it worked?
Thanks, Claude

Wooo Hooo! I'm a big fan of the 351C! As far as I know, there are no advantages to altering the scoop. The fresh air was ducted to the air cleaner near the front of the car anyway. Ford was after the "Look Good." It's getting popular again to put faux vents and scoops on cars. Makes the little ones look fast sittin' still! As far as structure goes, I'd have a good body guy look at it and follow his judgement. 2 or 4 bbl heads? 2bbl heads with a 4bbl intake and carb are the way to go although most 4bbl engines came with 4 bolt mains. Don't remove and throw away the restrictor under the thermostat or you'll end up circulating water between the water pump and radiator and nothing else!

Best Answer

Tracy, thanks for your help. My 351 was a two barrel but now has a four barrel Edelbrock carb on it. I'm now mechanic but I think this means it had two bbl heads? And I'm about to have the leaking water pump replaced so im going to show this to my mechanic in regards to what you said about restrictior under thermostat. Anything else I should tell him? Thanks!

351 Cleveland's run a tad warm to begin with. I agree with Tracy. The stock air cleaner in 1970 gulped in hot air warmed by the radiator from under the hood. Cleveland's, both 2V and 4V, really respond well to a cold air charge. Should you cut your hood? No. Do you have any idea how hard they are to find? 20 years ago, I cut the hood of my 1972 Cougar and I winced then. It had a 2V 351. I put in a mild cam, aluminum Edelbrock dual plane intake, Headman headers, 650 Holley 4bbl. carb and a re-curved dual point distributor. All this woke the car up, but it was nothing to gain of cutting the hood and installing a 1970 Torino shaker assembly. My God, it brought all those mild parts upgrades into balance and WHAM, I had a genuine muscle car. I have built 351C's in the past and was convinced that the 4V heads were the way to go. They are if you are going all out racing only, but the mild upgrades I did to this 351 made me deepen my love for the design. The shaker is known as the McKinlay Air Cleaner Construction, patent number 3,481,119. Also known as a Torino Cobra/Mustang Mach1 Shaker. You can look it up in Google Patent search. It has an angled flapper valve in it that directs the air on top of the air cleaner lid, below. It works incredibly well. The problem is that an original along with a flat hood will cost you over $6,000. You can get an aftermarket copy for far less. I guess I went around the world to tell you to not cut a perfectly good hood for cooling, if your water pump is leaking. If it still runs hot after the repairs, then buy an aftermarket radiator. If you want to go fast and use a hood scoop, then look up the Torino Shaker. I don't think you would get enough air flow in that short, but wide, scoop to even cool it while parked.

Thanks Farmer, you and Tracy have provided some really good advice-I will not be cutting the hood! If after replacing the water pump it still runs hot maybe a really big fan or dual fan?

Dual electric, might be a good way to go.

Thanks Farmer, since you know a lot about the 351 can you suggest one or two relatively easy upgrades I could do to increase power? You mentioned a few but what's number one/two in terms of bang for the buck?

I wish I had some aftermarket advice for you. My background is primarily OEM Ford. I do like what Farmer351 did to his Cleveland! Sounds great and not over-done either!