2009 Ford Escape Loss of Power

Asked by May 24, 2013 at 09:19 PM

I have 76K miles on my '09 Ford Escape w/a V6 4WD engine, and while driving on the freeway, it suddenly lost power and I had to pull off on the shoulder, as the accelerator was not powering the engine.  The 'maintenance needed' light was lite, and the engine was sputtering.
I turned it off, and then back on, and seemed to reset itself, and ran fine for about 1/2 hr when it happened again.  After getting it going again, I was able to drive it home 125 miles w/no further problems.
I'm assuming this is some sort of computer problem developing, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and potentially what the fix is...

Thanks for any advise/suggestion you can offer...
Rich

247,335

I would scan the computer for fault codes, and see if something is stored in memory. It could be a throttle postion sensor starting to fail. I'd have it looked at by a compentent mechanic, I wouldn't want to be stuck on the side myself.

Best Answer
50

Did you ever figure out the problem? I have the same problem with our 2009 4 cylinder and there are no engine codes to check when it starts back up. My mechanic and I are stumped. I replaced all the spark plugs and valve cover gasket too. Thanks, Brandon