I changed fuse in Cadillac 2001,while ignition on,now it wont start,headlights wont come on other issues what can I do?

15

Asked by May 06, 2013 at 10:48 PM

25,495

You can try removing the negative battery cable for a few minutes and see if it clears everything out. Dont think this was caused by you changing the fuse with the ignition on, unless that fuse blew when you changed it? What fuse were you changing?

15

cig lighter fuse.It says in owners manuel not to change cig fuse while ignition on. Of course I didnt know this when I did it.

25,495

Try removing the cable and check that fuse again to make sure

25,495

Check all the other fuses while your at it

15

Thank you,will let you know results. But that should reset everything? A friend said look for a reset . Makes sense to do by way of battery.Appreciate it.

15

I checked all fuses,and all fluids,was low on oil and coolant.But full now.

25,495

Yes leave it off for a few minutes and it allows all the backup power to deplete in the modules and resets them

Best Answer
15

Ok. Need a few gotta go outside do this. Thanks.

15

I left it off bout 3 mins. Still no change.

25,495

I wont be able to provide specifics im not as familiar with a caddy as I am a ford. I was just hoping it would be something easy. Does the engine turn over or do you no noise when you try to start it?

15

no noise,it was running,then just turned off when I was changing mini fuse for lighter

what blew the cigarette fuse...there's a little shelf on there and a penny goes into the pocket where the lighter is supposed to be...took me only twenty minutes to find the penny and change the fuse...what caused your lighter fuse to blow? trying to run a full-size toaster oven the outlet?~

25,495

It sounds like a power issue i know you have checked the fuses but make sure you check the other in the other fuse boxes. Not sure where they all are on that vehicle.

15

It is my daughters car has never worked. So I checked fuse before going on a out of twn trip (ph charger) It was blown,I changed it,then car died. and wont even try to turn over also headlights,fuel door,trunk wont pop open now,wipers wont work

here's the gig....let's see if we can figure this thing out-

15

what about the big silver fuses?

25,495

Check em' all

15

okay,I'll be back,but I dont know how to check the big silver fuses.

15

plus theres one under back seat by battery,and one under hood. It may take me a lil while.Thank you all SOOO much!!

25,495

An ohm meter may be necessary to check the ones that you can see inside of

25,495

I will probably be asleep soon but i will check back in the morning best of luck. Maybe judge roy will be up later than I.

15

Cool Thank you very much for your time.Much appreciated.

really scratching my scrotum on this one. Ground distribution schematics are needed....power distribution schematics are needed...lighting module may be corrupt-

Power distribution module is at fault-

15

Where in the heck is that one located and cost?? Do ya know?

15

I see power control module ign,and power control module battery,but not distribution. Would it be one of those sir?

this is brand new to me too Reba...we've got a cadillac expert, just have to find 'em~we can tough it through together, but it will be a full day of discovery testing this and pulling this plug and unscrewing that assembly...etc--was going to suggest number 2 DavidH25....why don't I zing their doorbell on this one...kinda throw up the red flag...and see what happens....just be patient we WILL solve your problem-

15

Thank YOUUU!! Very good of ya. Appreciate your time ,I have a jeep grand cherokee that Ive gotta put a starter on ion the morning.Just borrowed daughters caddy till mine was fixed.This is what happened. Lol,my luck :-)

I've sent emails to two of our best guys. Maybe one of them will step up to the plate. Tom Deyman don't mess around- DavidH25 is the perfect gentleman....my prototype-, if only I'd gain his knowledge~

15

Thanks again. Very good of you Judge Roy.I'm gonna keep my eyes on here periodically.Bless you,and in meantime,I'm gonna go check some more fuses. Wheew...

1) Quit smoking 2) Buy a Bic. JUST KIDDING..feeling silly, I am not blowing off you question Reba. the 'big silver fuse' you will need a continuity tool to tell if power is going through it, kbro is right an ohm meter would work too... although I doubt that blew. Is everything, I mean EVERYTHING dead? I know you said headlights won't come on, but does anything at all work, or is it as if the battery was not even there? Meantime, WHAT 2001 Cadillac? Seville? STS? Catera? What?And what engine? That would really help with my research. Reba, I will be back, sometime during the night, but if you tell me what Caddy you have would make life easier on all of us, to find the correct diagrams. And Greetings kbro, and Judge

210,865

I'm going to ask the obvious questions, did you put the Cig lighter fuse in the correct spot? What is the voltage on your battery? Maybe it was a coincidence that it died at the same time.

Reba. you check the big silver fuses with an ohm meter, this can be done with them still installed....lead to lead should read zero...if it reads infinite the fuse is dead~

does this car really have two batteries? one under the hood and the other under the back seat?