I'm considering purchasing a 2005 xc90 for safety. I've read they're expensive to maintain. Can anyone give me feedback about average expected cost to maintain this vehicle which has over 90,000?

5

Asked by May 05, 2013 at 04:12 AM

I'm considering purchasing a 2005 xc90 5 cylinder, primarily for safety and spaciousness. I've read they're expensive to maintain and not very reliable. This car has over 90 thousand miles and I have yet to have it checked out by my mechanic. Can anyone give me an average yearly estimate on regular maintenance and most expensive repairs that could come up. I've heard it can eat up tires and brakes but i haven't a clue what that expense would entail. Thank you!

24,095

Consumer Reports blasted the 2004 model (and didn't even bother to test the 2005 model)...The '04 model receive negative ratings in most categories. If I were you, I'd avoid the 2005 model..I seriously doubt that it's much better, especially with 90k miles on it. Probably be a money pit on 4 wheels! it's NOT the fact that it's a Volvo..I had an '06 Volvo S40 that I bought in '08 and it still performs fine with minimal upkeep. There are issues specifically with the XC90 during that time.

http://www.edmunds.com/volvo/xc90/2005/ .....is not real keen on it either, and Edmunds is a reliable source. They specifically state it does not have a lot of room inside unless you remove the third seat row, engine not well suited for an SUV, well see for yourself tanaz. Paste that link or Google 2005 XC90 Volvo for more reviews from professional reviewers and owners. But you are asking us to predict what is going to go wrong with a particular car..that's impossible. We don't know anything about maintenance history by previous owners for one thing..but my best advice is Carfax. If you are dealing with a private party on this car, the $40 it will cost for a Carfax is money well spent. If it's a Dealer, demand it free

I did a little more reading on the 2005 XC90. tanaz, you asked, so here is my opinion: look for another car. This one is a Volvo indeed, a name with a superior reputation but they must have had the Second String design team on duty at the time