Safest way to accept payment

Asked by Apr 30, 2013 at 09:11 PM

Bad answer, check craigslist my friend.

92,075

I like cash straight from the ATM.

58,885

Like tenspeed said, cash. I've accepted certified checks BUT don't release the vehicle or title until the check clears my bank. Same goes with a personal check that is numbered 300 or higher. If a personal check is numbered 299 or lower I won't accept it & don't even think about a "starter check". Money order, same deal. It has to clear my bank before I release car and title. I always give the buyer a receipt stating the particulars of the sale. Including vehicle description, amount paid, check or money order number, and complete vehicle identification number. HTH. -Jim

92,075

If you have a personal check, take it to the sellers bank. The bank will immediately debit the buyers account and give you cash or a bank money order if there is money in the checking account. --- I did a quick internet search using "Money order scams" and came up with pages of good advice. Here's one from Craigslist -- http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams. Be careful, people are bilked out of money everyday.