1988 nissan 300zx electrical problems?

Asked by Apr 10, 2013 at 06:03 PM

I have a 1988 nissan 300zx. While I was taking out the stock radio, I seemed to have messed a few things up. The
most important, to me anyways, is the digital dash. On the right hand side of the dash it keeps the miles I've driven.
(What I'm talking about it the miles that people reset after filling the gas tank) It had worked fine beforehand but now
it resets every time I shut the car off. I know to some people that's not a problem, but it's REALLY bothering me that
it's not working now. Another thing is the lights on the roof don't work anymore. That, I don't really care about
because I think it's just shorting somewhere. Also, my hazards no longer work, either. The buttons above and below
the hazard button work, just not the hazards. The last thing I noticed is the ac/heat piece about the radio no longer
displays anything nor do any of the bottoms work. So I can't even turn it on, which isn't too bad, but when it rains
and its hot, it gets hot as hell inside the car.
If anyone knows how to fix any, or all the problems listed, that would be GREAT!

Are going to have to look at your electrical schematic, something tells me there is a body control module there that might be on the fritz~....give me some time to come up with your schematic, hopefully there are not too many variations~

It is located on the back side of the underdash fuse box (junction block). You remove the lower steering column cover and knee blocker reinforcement. Then remove two plugs from the bottom of the bcm. Remove the bolts holding the junction block to dash panel mounting bracket. Remove the junction block from the bracket. Remove screws holding the bcm to the jb. Slide the bcm downward to disengage guide studs on jb from channels on bcm mounting bracket Remove bcm from jb.

And this should fix the tripometer problem?

not even sure what the responsibilities of the BCM are, not even sure it's at fault but our best sources tell us that it is~ it's interior control, so yeah, will fix the problem~

from wiki:t means Body Control Module. Its the computer that control alot of things in the car. When the BCM goes bad lil things act quirky. doors not unlocking. lights come on for no reason. car chimes and wont stop, rear hatch unlocks for no reason usually if you disconnect the bottery for a bit it resets it and cures some of the faults

could they BE any less specific?

they simply will not disclose the schematic. it is NOT public domain. The owner's manual tells you how to read a schematic, but doesn't make with the schematic...I too am interested if following the leads has placed us into the right zone but that post there says if you disconnect the "bottery" whatever that is "cures some of the faults"~