My son"s car-1998 contour,ran fine,to work.He tried to start it,for the drive home-No Luck..It has spark,fuel,and tries to start,when you hold pedal at full throttle..I replaced the T.P.S.,and same thing.. Any suggestions?? I cannot talk him into scrapping it..

Asked by Apr 02, 2013 at 03:58 PM

28,845

If it has the 2.0 it has a timing belt maybe it broke or jumped time. If you have a 2.5 it has a timing chain. which motor does it have?

102,165

If it has a timing chain, the chain could have jumped a tooth. That will make it hard to start and no power.

It has the 2.0 engine in it.The timing belt is intact-I replaced it 6000 miles ago..It started,but only holding the gas pedal Wide open..Hence-the TPS replacement..I"m stumped...

28,845

possible IAC valve issue if it starts with the throttle plate open. Maybe a mass air flow sensor issue. What do you think tenspeed?