I have a 69 gto and when I press the gas pedal it hesitates a bit and you have to ease into it. Why is this?

Asked by Mar 21, 2013 at 07:03 PM

actually a quantum of factors- start with choked air filter, Egr valve puffin both ways, weak spark and ignition, Sounds like your vacuum advance control, the mechanical pendulae part, not the vacuum part, but either/neither and/or both could be doin' this changing your acceleration curve, actually the vacuum line on the vacuum advance if pulled for testing and a golf tee put in it's place so engine vacuum stays the same will act like this.....so yes...yes...yes Vacuum Advance on the distributor....that's my final decision...bring the hammer down!

90,055

That Rochester carb has a accelerator pump that shoots a stream of gas down the intake when you step on the gas. Take the air cleaner off, look down the throat and turn the butterflys. You should see the gas and a little vapor hanging in the air. -- It richens the fuel mixture when the gas pedal is pressed. If you don't see it squirt, clean or rebuild the card.

ahh, the accelerator pump...these guys were made from leather up until a short time ago-

56,825

Try running a bottle of STP Carburetor Cleaner through the fuel system with your next fill up of premium gasoline. It's your accelerator pump in the carburetor. Probably has a speck of dirt in there. I've used that STP product in the past. Works good. HTH. -Jim

...little buddy's gonna shut you down!"