Oil leaks

Asked by Mar 17, 2013 at 07:38 PM

My 1977 Cadillac deville with a 425
engine have a oil leak but I don't
know ware its coming from how
much will it cost to find out ware its
coming from and fix or to fix
everything that got something to do
with a oil leak and ware do I take it
to in Lynchburg Virginia

what you have to do is go to an outdoor old-fashioned car wash that isn't hostile towards engine cleaning. With a can of foamy engine brite spray down your motor. Be sure to be packin' a can of WD-40 before you start. set the machine to HOT wash and spray all the greasy undercarriage clean you've brought your floorjack so you can get up under there. select high pressure rinse and try to avoid electrical areas, but de-grease the entire under-engine. After you turn the key and it won't start, break out the WD-40 and douse the high voltage parts, the wires, coil and ecu box. give 'er a crank and park in a place that you can dry off with the hood open in the hot sun. leave the motor running, grab a flashlight and begin inspecting the head, the waterpump and any place where the oil jacket may come into contact with the outside world. diagnosis complete, take note of where it's leaking.

89,785

I had a pair of 78 Eldorados with the 425 engines. A likely place for them to leak is along the lower. outside edge of the valve cover gasket. BTW I still have a new pair of valve covers around somewhere if you want to add some bling.