i have a 2005 pontiac sunfire runs good but fuel gauge does not work is this the float on the sending unit or is this vehicle known for gauge"s and can i fix the float or do i need to replace the sending unit. car has good fuel preshure????

Asked by Mar 13, 2013 at 01:44 PM

pleasde send me a reply at raymondepeabody@hotmail.com

9,435

GM has always had tons of issues with the sending units. I just bought an 04 Buick and the gauge is al over the place, Says its empty when it is full, sometimes is shows a half a tank when it is full, sometimes I can sit in the driveway idling and the gauge jumps all over the place.. LOL.. Most of the sending units are now built into the fuel pump assembly; mine is like most, so I have no plans on correcting the issue until I need a fuel pump. I just fill the tank up every 300 miles.. LOL

90,025

The sending unit and the fuel pump are both in the tank. You have to drop the tank to replace it. The float rubbing on the variable resistor wears it out. Some say that the sulfur in the gas coats the wires so you can try fuel system cleaner first. -- When you fill the tank, zero the trip odo so you know how many miles you have driven.

Best Answer
90,025

Thanks for the Best Answer click! The good news is that RockAuto sell a sending unit for under $20. The bad news is that you have to drop the tank to install it. You might as well replace the fuel pump while you're at it. Here's the location: 2005 PONTIAC SUNFIRE 2.2L L4 : Fuel/Air : Fuel Level Sensor

thanks to all that took a minute to help me ..this is a great sight thank you all !!!!