I took my 57 ranchero out tonight for a spin and it stalled on me and wouldn't start and keep running. In doing so the oil light kept coming on. Anyone know what could be it? Or is it just over heating?

Asked by Mar 11, 2013 at 11:01 PM

It has a 63 thunderbird engine 390 v8

101,935

Need more information. If it stalled out due to overheat you probably toasted and engine. Do you have spark, fuel to the carb, compression good. Good quality fuel? A 63 390 is not going to like this stuff they call gasoline today.

It would start up but when I would press the gas it would stall out again? But it started up fine just wouldn't go?

101,935

Sounds like the carb is messed up, pull the air cleaner off and check if there is a squirt of fuel when you move the throttle getting shot down the throat of the carb, if not then the carb should be overhauled. If you find a rebuild kit for the carb make sure it has the updated components for this trash for fuel.

Ok I'll check it out today! Thanks for the help!