Engine Light appears on Dashboard:

Asked by Mar 08, 2013 at 09:32 AM

I have a 2000 Mercdes C230 in graet condition with no problems at all. It is good on Gas and takes a higher octane of gas to run.
Lately the engine light comes on every 3 days. I took the car in and they told me the engine is fine it seems to be a loose wire. It was fixed but it did appear to come on again after 3 days.
It is making it hard to have the emission test on it because of this light. What do you think the problem is? Can it be fixed? I want  to keep this car for another 5 years.

no no no....the engine light is coming on because the Oxygen Sensor is not behaving itself, and probably needs to be looked at. Because the CEL comes on then goes off, the problem will still be stored in the onboard flash memory...get the trouble codes read, and you will see that it's time to take a look at the oxygen sensor....how can 'they' give an opinion if they haven't read the codes? loose wire my ass! these things just don't happen by themselves.