frame issue on 95-97 jeeps

150

Asked by Mar 03, 2013 at 04:38 PM

I was looking to purchase a wrangler I have heard they have frame issues I was wondering where are they usually bad what area around rear wheels? or where

I've heard the JEEP CJ's have a problem with rear spring shackles (they let loose, or break or bent...dunno), so just don't buy one of these, if you've got one, just don't do any off-roading with it, and will be just fine;

155

i have a lot of jeep wranglers coming in and out of my shop, and here where i live, the state goes crazy with the salt they put on the roads during the winter months, and i've not noticed any problems with them. Usually frame problems come from the frame rusting. i know toyota had a recall on some tacomas, and it may still be going on, due to the frames rusting through. if you live in an area with little snow, or can find a wrangler from a place like that, then you should be ok as far as a rusty frame. wranglers are cool vehicles, but i personally wouldn't want one for a daily driver. they're loud on the inside, and they ride rough due to the short wheelbase, and the fact that they have a solid front axle, instead of an independent front suspension. wranglers have some other problems, but as far as i know bad frames aren't one of them.

150

what r some of the problems u have seen or most popular

155

notoriously rough ride. death wobble is very common. death wobble is a problem that any vehicle with a solid front axle can develop. there's a myriad of things that can cause it, but on wranglers what i see cause it most are tires, and weak steering stabilizers. mechanically, they're usually fairly reliable. sure, you get a dud in about anything from time to time, but they seem to not be too mechanically problematic. main thing is if you find one, take it to a mechanic you trust, and let them go over it before you buy it.

ahh, the ole' steering dampener of which the AMC gremlin did not have, especially wobbly when going over railroad tracks and would rip the steering wheel right out of your hands! twin I-beams seem ancient...so many complications...