Trying to get my steering wheel off the shaft, have good puller, still not budging, having one heck of a time. Any tips?

25

Asked by Mar 01, 2013 at 05:30 PM

Am I missing something?  the thing wont budge

7,105

Smack the center nut on the wheel with a ballpeen hammer while pulling up on the rim, should pop loose right away. You don't even need a puller.

7,105

I'm assuming it on a '71 Monte Carlo by looking at your I.D. get yourself a long bolt that the same size as the stud coming out of the wheel in the center. attach two nuts to it with the second nut sticking out far enough to screw onto the stud on the wheel. Screw it on tight, you will need 2 wrenches to do so. the smack the top of the bolt you just bought with the hammer a few times real hard while pulling up on the outer rim of the wheel, it will pop loose. That the old school way of removing a steering wheel without a puller. Try it, it will work. Kenny/MrBlueOval

25

I got pretty frustrated with this, so I walked away from it. I left the puller all set up in place with tension still on it, next morning, I gave it a couple sprays with wd40, and a couple good cranks on the wrench and it came right off. now i need to either epoxy the little plastic wire tube, or find another one, Had to give up since I ran out of time, and had to leave it for when i get back home, but I think, and hope I got past the tough part. thanks again for your replies