which is better to tow with? automatic or manual?

165

Asked by Feb 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM

im looking to buy a truck and want a manual, but am unsure how towing will be. it is going to be primarily towing another truck on a trailer. thank you for any input.

Manual. The possibility of cooking it from over-use is much less.

Best Answer
165

thats what i was thinking. i have an automatic van i use to tow my trailer now and i dont use od cause i know that can cook a trans and i dont need that.

if you're towning gold bars up the matterhorn, yeah, but as long as the transmission cooler (part of the radiator) is flowin' okay should be okay- Besides, you'd start smellin' something funny and give it a rest, check the color of you transmission oil (not brown) ---okay! Towed the 'little champ' trailer from Milwaukee and the motor was kaput, but the turbo 350 transmission worked like a dream.

165

the van tows it no problem. the issue is the suspension. it cant take the weight of the trailer alone very well and you put even a gutted car on it and itll sag pretty bad.

8,615

Simple answer is this: Check the tow ratings and what the manufacturer suggests. The other thing is, when ordering the truck, figure the maximum weight you will want to tow, and add 20% to that. The last thing you want is to be right at maximum capacity on a regular basis. Order the truck according to that weight, and be prepared to wait while it is built for you.

20,835

actualy an auto with a roadranger of heavy duty trans is prefered.remember stopping on a hill ,loaded is a smoker,a granny gear is for this stunt and the drivers must be concidered,a novice will scare the hell out of ya.