Jeep Engine Light

1,295

Asked by Feb 21, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I have recently purchased a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the situation is simple... the engine light keeps popping up. First thing I
did was check for any loose hoses, gas cap, etc... found nothing. So I take it into a garage to get it looked at, they told me that
the Purge valve was loose... that was last week, and my engine light had just popped on again. So, I'm thinking its possibly the
purge valve that will be needed replaced, anyone have some tips on what else it could be?

Many thanks guys.

the purge valve is part of the evaporative emissions system and will be filled with gasoline if your chacoal canister takes on gas because you insisted on topping it off, rather than stopping at the first click. I know the temptation is there to get just that much more gas in there...but what happens as there's a tube where gas fumes go, gets all snuffled with gas and the purge valve shared this circus, so it goes south as well. my advise...drive it...drive it almost dry and hopefully eveything will dry out, check engine will go away and everything will be clowns and fun balloon animals for the children.

circuits not circuses

rewarded with normal service. no clowns were harmed.

Best Answer
1,295

Lol, alright. That's what a few others have also mentioned. Many thanks

99,155

Or you could take it to a parts store and get the codes read. That will tell you what is wrong.

tenspeed, they did the 'Purge valve was loose'

1,295

the purge hose is actually loose, and rotting. so i got a new hose n water clamp